|17 May 2021 - 21 May 2021||ONLY 1 room available!|
|21 June 2021 - 25 June 2021||ONLY 1 room available!|
In the eastern corner of the De Hoop Marine Protected Area, where few people have ever set foot, lies the new Lekkerwater lodge. Accessed by a private road within the reserve and formerly the location of FW’ de Klerk’s “Camp David” beach house, this idyllic location is the site of Natural Selection’s newest lodge. With a rich and fascinating history, incredible fauna and flora, pristine beaches, verdant rolling hills and abundant sea life, the focus is on the experience. An experience of being surrounded by nature for 4 nights and having your camera by your side to enrich your experience to another level. This will not be another photo workshop, it will be a masterclass of recognising your environment, accepting it and producing relevant images from the experience.
Here we will immerse ourselves in the natural surroundings, discovering the power of unbridled imagination, child-like curiosity, intuition and vision in the journey of the photograph. We will spend time learning that either side of the moment we choose to press the shutter is a journey of discovery – the journey of capture and the journey of expression.
Our intent will be to inform you how to journey beyond shutter speeds and white balances into the heart of photography – making images that speak, images that tell stories, images that inform the mind and move the heart.
And there is no better place for this than at Lekkerwater, where all meals will be catered and the rooms are arranged to give you full and sumptuous views of the open beach and ocean.
The masterclass will be hosted by Hougaard Malan and Shem Compion, two of South Africa’s most thoughtful photographers in the professional sphere. Daily presentations will help guide you through the masterclass, giving you inspiration and food for thought, all to help attain a better sense of yourself as a photographer in the most amazing and stimulating environment possible.
• Exploring a pristine and natural coastline all to ourselves.
• Being invigorated by nature in a very pure form.
• A diverse photographic experience. We will explore land and seascapes with wide angle lenses. Long lenses for birdlife on the coastline. We will have access to a vulture colony. All lenses will be catered for.
• The ability to explore in the fynbos, along the beaches and on the rocky shoreline at low tide with free abandon.
• Breaking free of the constraints of pre-visualisation; be guided by Shem and Hougaard at dawn and sunset shoots.
• Recognising the essential but frequently elusive elements of the indecisive moment in the journey of capture.
• Daily talks and sharing of insights, the thought processes and planning that goes into great image making.
• Learning why great, award winning images are the result of the photographer’s passionate intent, engagement with the world in the frame and most importantly, creative vision.
• Learning about the journey of expression – bring your vision to others.
• Being mentored by two of South Africa’s most respected photographers.